Monday, February 25, 2013

I'm a Hustler, Baby

Only MY body would hit a weight loss plateau after three weeks. Seriously. I have to say that I saw this coming when I beat the hell out of myself two weeks ago to meet my fitness goal and ate on point and only lost two pounds. This past week was even more frustrating, but I'm happy to say that I kept my momentum. Things will get better. I know that. It's hard to look at a scale that is inching upward and telling you you're gaining weight when you know you're burning more calories than you're consuming. Sometimes the scale is a dbag. Unfortunately, that usually happens on the days your body is being an asshole.

Thankfully, I had a lot going on this week to keep me focused.

First of all, I had my training. My goal for this week was to burn 3500 calories through exercise. I started the week out with an incredible 10.5 mile walk and finished it off by jogging on the treadmill! So, here's the deets:
  • Monday:  1730 cals burned on a 10.5 mile walk at 3.5mph pace or better for the duration!
  • Tuesday:  475 cals burned climbing 102 flights on the Stairmaster StepMill
  • Wednesday:  525 cals burned climbing 122 flights on the Stiarmaster StepMill
  • Thursday:  823 cals burned climbing 140-some flights on the Stairmaster StepMill followed by 15 minutes on the elliptical trainer
  • Friday:  I shoveled for about 45 minutes, but I didn't count the calories burned
  • Saturday:  416 cals burned doing 40 minutes of light incline treadmill walking
  • Sunday:  505 cals burned climbing the stairs of the Hancock Building and 554 cals burned incline walking and also jogging on the treadmill

Total:  5028 calories burned! Goal Exceeded!

I also exceeded my goal of doing two StepMill and one elliptical workouts.

It's a good thing I did well with those goals, because the scale was, indeed, a dbag this week. I lost a half a pound. I'm not going to dwell on it and I'm not going to complain. I am moving on. . . 

I decided part way through the week that I was going to let go of my diet restrictions a little. I found that by Tuesday I had gained a pound over my Monday weigh-in, and by Thursday that hadn't changed. I KNOW I wasn't eating enough that I should be gaining weight, but I thought that my body might be rebelling against me. I decided to try eating a bit more to see if that would comfort my system and let it let go of the weight. In fact, I let everything go on Sunday night after my stair climb and my jog:  I ate cupcakes from the Sprinkles bakery in downtown Chicago! Let me tell you, those cupcakes were amazing. I earned them, and I enjoyed the funk out of them!

Ok, so, let's do an update on the climb and then we'll update our goals for this week:

I know I said that I didn't set a time goal for the Hustle this time around. Battling RA and ILD and not being able to train as properly as I would have liked I just wanted to be able to raise some money and finish the climb. But, after doing my StepMill workouts I predicted that my time would be about 45 minutes and I made it my goal to finish in less than an hour. The real climb is always harder than the StepMill workouts are! I set my fundraising goal at $200, which is what was the default when I first registered.

My time for the actual climb was 45:27, exactly what I predicted. That time is nothing I would have bragged about a year ago, but I'm perfectly satisfied with it! My fundraising accomplishments are a bit more impressive. I only gave myself about a week to do my fundraising work and I far exceeded my original $200 goal. Thanks to the generous donations of my friends I was able to raise $620. I feel really good about that! Along the way I decided to offer my donors the chance to dedicate a floor of my climb to someone they have lost or to someone they love who is fighting lung (or another) disease. I made an iron-on for my climbing shirt with the dedications on the back. I had no idea how emotional that process would be. It really drove home for me why I do these events, and I plan to do those dedications for every climb and race I do from this point forward!

My Sister, Brenda. We lost her to emphysema in August of 2011.

The view from the 94th floor is pretty spectacular!
I'm so proud of our team:  JJC Honors Hustle! Liz and Ashley finished the climb in about 30 minutes, and Erik and John finished in 17 minutes and 16 minutes respectively! Oh yeah, and we raised $1435 for lung health!
You have no idea how happy I was to eat after we finished the climb! There wasn't a whole lot going on at the Expo this year, but I was thankful for the grub!

During the week last week I formulated a progression of fitness goals, so that I can focus out beyond the current week. So, here they are followed by this weeks goals to help me get there:

  • Goal 1:  Climb the Hancock
  • Goal 2:  Jog a Mile on the Treadmill
  • Goal 3:  Run a 5k on the Treadmill
  • Goal 4:  Run a Sub 12-Minute Mile
  • Goal 5:  Run the JJC 5k for my Birthday in May
  • Goal 6:  Run a Sub 30-Minute 5k by the end of Summer

Well, I knew I was going to complete Goal 1 this weekend, but I thought it might be a few weeks before I moved onto Goal 2. Nope. I'm not sure what possessed me to go to the gym after we got home from the climb yesterday, but I felt like I had unfinished business. I planned to walk for a half hour or so but after walking the first half mile I felt inspired to pump the speed up to 4.5mph and jog for a quarter mile. . . which turned into a mile. I walked for another half mile to cool down and then felt inspired to try jogging another half mile which then turned into a second mile. 

So, I'm 2/3 of the way to the 5k distance and so that's the next goal for me to knock out. Though, I do have to say that my feet are feeling it today. I know I need to watch it. I may need to ease up on the jogging this week until I can get my shoes sorted out and make sure that I have the support to run without injuring myself. It's exciting to feel like I'm on the cusp of being able to jog, though--I didn't think I'd be there until late spring! 

So, I guess I'll make my goal for this week to be to burn 5000 calories again this week.
Beyond that I just want to keep eating well. Hopefully, the scale will begin to cooperate with me more!

No comments: